Jamaica Estate, NY – Texting & Talking While Driving
Driving while distracted can lead to the most horrific accidents seen on our roads. To define a distraction is anything that will direct a driver’s attention away from the task of driving in defensive and safety conscious manner. These distractions can be anything from a mobile telephone conversation to a passenger telling a hilarious joke. It may be that you have a child in the back of your vehicle who is misbehaving. All of these scenarios are potential distractions.
In New York it is illegal to drive any vehicle while using an electronic hand held device. It is illegal to text, compose emails and read content of any text message or email, browse the internet or save any received electronic data while driving. The state of New York states that it is also illegal to talk on any handheld device while driving; it is also an offence to take, view or transmit any images on an electronic device. Playing games on an electronic device while driving is also against the law.
The reason for these strict laws is that it is so easy for a driver to become distracted and make a mistake that could be fatal. Having these laws in place is necessary to try to discourage drivers from making mistakes that could cost them or others their lives.
The penalties for driving and texting are severe. You will receive 5 points on your license and a fine if you are observed by any officer while driving and using a handheld electronic device. These penalties affect commercial drivers as well as domestic drivers.
As of October 28, 2013 changes were made to the mobile phone/ portable electronic device use law for commercial drivers.
- Commercial drivers are not allowed to make a phone call or use a handheld electronic device while the vehicle is temporarily stationary because of traffic, a traffic control device or other momentary delays
- Any operator of a commercial vehicle who is observed holding a mobile phone or electronic device in the immediate proximity of, his or her ear while the vehicle is temporarily stationary due to the above reasons is, presumed to be making or engaged in a call.
- Any mobile telephone used by a driver of a commercial vehicle shall not be deemed hands free if the driver dials or answers a call using more than one button on the device.
Access2Drive LLC is a driving schools in Queens, Brooklyn and Long Island NY. We know what it takes to make a driver a really safe driver. Whether you are young or old we can cater for your driving needs. We want to instill the knowledge of safe driving in all our clients. An understanding of the dangers of driving with distractions is very important.
Learn 2 Drive the Access way with the best driving school Jamaica Queens.
We Teach you how to drive.
• Car Lessons
• CDL Bus Class B-P Training
Take one of our class for
• Defensive Driving Course (6 hour class)
• 5 hour Pre-license class
We have packages to fit your needs
• 4,6,11,16 lesson packages
Our packages include:
• 5 Hour class
• Car for test
• Date for your test
• Lessons are 45 minutes each